About Me

My photo
United States
Hi everyone! I am an aspiring author slash college student who loves to read which is probably obvious, and I love to share what I read with people, again, obvious. I think everyone has a book out there for them, its a matter of looking hard enough to find it and having a positive attitude about reading it. Anyways I hope you all find this blog helpful. Please feel free to comment and ask questions, that's why I do this! -Bookworm95

April 15, 2015

The Road by Cormac McCarthy

Image result for The roadHey guys! So irony of all ironies, one of the books for my current English class (the very ones I just said I wasn't that psyched to read) turns out to be one of the best post apocalyptic / dystopian-ish novels I have ever read. This book was published in 2006 and it has been on my 'to read' list for a really long time.

The Road.

You must all read this book. Immediately.

I am not going to lie to you and say this book is action packed and super exciting because it really isn't. However, it literally chills you to the bones as you read it. His vivid descriptions have changed the way I look at the world.

"A father and his son walk alone through burned America. Nothing moves in the ravaged landscape save the ash on the wind. It is cold enough to crack stones, and when the snow falls it is gray. The sky is dark. Their destination is the coast, although they don't know what, if anything, awaits them there. They have nothing; just a pistol to defend themselves against the lawless bands that stalk the road, the clothes they are wearing, a cart of scavenged food—and each other.
The Road is the profoundly moving story of a journey. It boldly imagines a future in which no hope remains, but in which the father and his son, "each the other's world entire," are sustained by love. Awesome in the totality of its vision, it is an unflinching meditation on the worst and the best that we are capable of: ultimate destructiveness, desperate tenacity, and the tenderness that keeps two people alive in the face of total devastation."

I've heard that the movie is not very good, but I have not seen it myself to tell you. However I think that the father is played by an actor from The Lord of the Rings. Again, not positive.

Anyways! You guys seriously go check this book out!

-Enjoy!
Bookworm

No comments: