About Me

My photo
United States
Hi everyone! I am an aspiring author slash college student who loves to read which is probably obvious, and I love to share what I read with people, again, obvious. I think everyone has a book out there for them, its a matter of looking hard enough to find it and having a positive attitude about reading it. Anyways I hope you all find this blog helpful. Please feel free to comment and ask questions, that's why I do this! -Bookworm95

June 1, 2014

Maya Angelou: "Mother, Sister, Friend" and Mentor (1928-2014)

I'm sure most of you have already heard about the passing of Dr. Maya Angelou this last week. The news was shocking to me and I said to myself, "she can't be dead! I just saw her on the Oprah Life Class!" I was immediately saddened by the loss of such an amazing and inspirational woman. Although I had only been introduced to her work a little over 2 years ago now, Dr. Angelou had touched and changed my life so tremendously. Her insights on life and love and respect, have changed the way I see the world. She has taught me about religion and spirituality and most importantly, about forgiveness. Her written works have inspired me to want to write and like everything else you encounter, her writings have influenced how I write and I draw from that often. I think the most important lesson She taught me was the lesson of just being a good person. Being a kind person. Being a caring person. Smile at someone. And always remember, no one has the ability to control you or what you say.

Maya Angelou has touched the lives of so many people around the world and she will be greatly missed. Thank you for all that you have taught me Dr. Angelou.

 
 
-Enjoy!
 
Bookworm 

No comments: