About Me

My photo
United States
Hi everyone! I am an aspiring author slash college student who loves to read which is probably obvious, and I love to share what I read with people, again, obvious. I think everyone has a book out there for them, its a matter of looking hard enough to find it and having a positive attitude about reading it. Anyways I hope you all find this blog helpful. Please feel free to comment and ask questions, that's why I do this! -Bookworm95

August 18, 2011

I Skipped Around :/



So these last few weeks, I kind of decided to skip a few of the books on my list because I couldn't get my hands on a copy, and I read those books that I already had or I could get my hands on. The first one that I read is called The Help by Katherine Stockett. And I have to say. . .W O W. It is one of the most amazing books I have yet to read. The relationships she describes between the white community and their black help is unique and well written. The everyday things that the black community had to deal with were written in such detail and grace. It really shows you what it was like to live during that time frame. The persecution they faced was unreal, and you get a sense of their fear while you read the words on these pages. The personalities of her characters were so loveable I thought I was being told the story personally. The people, the places, the events seem to jump off the page and unfold deep within your mind. And I don't just say that because Ms. Stockett's amazing story has recently hit the big screen. It is an incredible story of life, love, fear, racial prejudices, hardships, happiness, and bonds stronger than a million steal cables. I cannot stress enough that you read this novel. I promise that the words comming out of the characters mouths, such as Aibileen and Minny, will make you feel like you are apart of the story. Their dialect is spot on and it just completes the plot line further. I cannot praise Katherine Stockett enough for her work. I loved every second she allowed me to enter the world of her creation.


The second book I read is on the list. It is number 25 and it is called Safe Haven by Nicholas Sparks. I haven't finished it yet, but many of my book loving friends told me I had to read it and it was one of their favorite Sparks novels. And so far I have to agree with them. This novel is about a women who has run away from her abusive husband. She winds up living in a small city that is so off the map, she would never be found by her detective husband. She meets Alex, and small store owner and a father of two young kids. The character's pasts will touch you in ways you can't imagine. You really feel for them and their pains. I am about half way through and the drama is only starting to begin. I love how Sparks set the foundation for this novel, with the plot and the relationships within. As I read through the chapters I can feel the tension rising and the ending is sure to be chin-dropping. It is truly amazing thus far.


I hope these suggestions can be of help to those in need of new reads.



-Bookworm

No comments: