About Me

My photo
United States
Hi everyone! I am an aspiring author slash college student who loves to read which is probably obvious, and I love to share what I read with people, again, obvious. I think everyone has a book out there for them, its a matter of looking hard enough to find it and having a positive attitude about reading it. Anyways I hope you all find this blog helpful. Please feel free to comment and ask questions, that's why I do this! -Bookworm95

April 6, 2013

The Host Review (CAUTION: MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS)

Hey Wormies! So, today, my best friend and I went to see The Host. I must say that I was so incredibly skeptical about going to see this movie. I was afraid it was going to be another Tw
ilight mishap. But now that Stephenie is the executive producer, the movie came out much better than I had thought it would. However, even though I did like the movie as a whole, there were a few things that I felt a little iffy about.

Let me start out by saying that during the credits I got to see the City of Bones trailer. That movie definitely makes me nervous. I think that from a first glance, the characters look alllllllll wrong. But because I am a true fan, and really respect Cassandra Clare, I am going to give it a chance, show my support and go see the movie.

Ok now onto The Host. Let's see where do I want to start? Well how about at the opening credits? I absolutely loved the opening. The whole Earth thing with the title across it. Loved it. The Morgan Freeman type voice giving the history? Loved it. It was really cool.

However, now it's time for some negative. I felt that the movie sort of dragged. My best friend has never read the book and she was getting a little bored. The beginning was fast paced, but after the point where Melony gets captured and implanted with Wanda things got a little slow.

Now for some positive. I thought the actors they picked were really good. I loveddd Jared and Kyle. Jeb was PERFECT. He was soo funny. Maggie was more hostile than I remember her being in the book. But it worked nicely. Melony/Wanda looked a little young to me, but she was ok. I didn't dislike her, but I didn't LOVE LOVE LOVE her either. That make sense?

Speaking of Wanda/Melony. I know this is going to sound really picky but I didn't like the whole voice in her head bit. It just sounded really cheese and echoy and unrealistic.  I know that we never get what we picture in our minds as we read, but I thought it was a little over done, like Edwards sparkling skin in Twilight.

Is it wrong that I'm making Twilight references? I'm not trying to compare them, but those are the examples that pop into my mind as I type this.

I think that is all my beefs. Over all, I really liked it. My friend even thought it was a cute movie. I will say that they stuck pretty true to the book. They got all the important plot points in. I did miss the part where Wes, the old ill man, dies and they have to bury him. Wes in the movie was a young kid who gets taken out by the seeker. Oh ya! And I may be wrong, but I don't remember the seeker finding the rebel hide-out in the book. If I'm wrong, someone let me know. Its been a while since I read the book.

So ya. That's about all I got to say. I really like the credit song. It was perfect I think. And the ending was great. It was different than I remember it in the book, but It was still good.

I think they did a great job. Now, I really hope Stephenie Meyers gets around to writing a sequel. I would reallly APPRECIATE IT! Steph, if you're reading this, please please please please. WRITE A SEQUEL!!

I think that about wraps it up! Go see the movie, and ya, have a great week!

Enjoy!
-Bookworm

No comments: